Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

How do I divorce when I have recently moved to a new state and do not yet meet the residency requirements?

Q: I have recently moved from NJ to NY with my wife. While the marriage has been deteriorating, it has recently taken a turn for the worse and I want to divorce as quickly as possible.
We have no children and do not own a home, so it should be relatively hassle free, but she refuses to get a divorce or even a separation. Often when I try to walk away from an argument, she will stand in front of my car, get in the bed of my truck, threaten to cancel my debit and credit card if I leave, etc.

I am trying to get out of this situation as quickly as possible, but I am unsure if I can file for divorce in NJ where we lived for three years or if I have to wait until I can file in NY.

Also, what is the process when she refuses to sign papers? 

A: David's Answer: There's nothing requiring you to remain living with her. That said, at the least you both need to be NY residents and the "cause of action" arose in NY - which usually means your marriage has "irretrievably broken down" in NY for more than 6 months. Schedule a consult with a Westchester Divorce attorney for a full assessment. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3174 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions