Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Can my ex-husband request changes to the child support and visitation rights if we separate again (he recently moved back in)?

Q: My ex-husband moved back in 1 year after the final divorce decree was signed. We reconciled and moved in and I am trying to understand if his rights to the children and child support change if he lives with us for 3 months, 6 months, 2 years or more. I don't plan to remarry, so would like to understand his his rights as well as mine if we just live as partners without legally being married. Can he request changes to his visitation rights, if God forbid we separate again based on being in the kids life on a daily basis? Or does the original agreement still stand?

A: David's Answer: All one needs to set forth a basis to modify visitation is to state a "change of circumstances." Child support modification is slightly different, in that the standard is: 3 years have passed since support was set or adjusted, there's been a 15% change of incomes, or there's otherwise been a "substantial change of circumstances." Thus, the inquiry as to whether there's a basis to modify on either issue will be assessed on the situation as it exists at the time of the filing. Schedule a consult with a Westchester Child Support attorney for a full assessment.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3174 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions