High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Can I get alimony if I am married for one year?

Q: we been separated already 2 month but I used to live in a two bedroom apartment which I used to pay less then 800 dollars when we got together he moved me into a 3 bedroom with now I pay triple the rent. what can I do

A: David’s Answer: You may be better off filing your application in Family Court first, rather than filing for divorce. Strategically, the divorce filing cuts off the duration of your marriage, which is a factor in awarding maintenance – Family Court proceedings do not. Schedule a consult with a Bronx Divorce attorney for a full assessment. 

FindLaw Network