Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Do I have to pay counsel fees on family court in a different county if the case was closed?

Q: Family court case in the Bronx ran from March'16 to Dec'16 Divorce commenced Jul'16 to present. Can the more monied spouse be forced to pay family court counsel fees in Westchester Supreme Court at finalization of divorce?

A: David's Answer: Generally no - there is no provision for the Divorce Court to include an award of counsel fees as accrued in the Family Court case. Nevertheless, an arguable exception is if the Family Court matter is consolidated into the divorce action - one may thus include the accrued Family Court fees in the overall counsel fee award as a factor for the Court to consider. Schedule a consult with a Westchester Divorce attorney for a full assessment.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3174 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions