High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

What is the procedure in New York for filing for emancipation as per a divorce agreement?

Q: My daughter is now 22 years old. This is the age that the divorce agreement says that she will be emancipated. She is finishing college in May 2017.
What legal procedure must be followed in the New York courts to enforce the divorce agreement and terminate the child support? 

A: David’s Answer: You can simply file a petition to terminate the support order with the Family Court. If it’s not payable through SCU, or there’s otherwise not a garnishment in place, then you can simply stop paying. Schedule a consult with a Westchester Uncontested Divorce attorney for a full assessment.

FindLaw Network
David Bliven Badge