Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

What is the procedure in New York for filing for emancipation as per a divorce agreement?

Q: My daughter is now 22 years old. This is the age that the divorce agreement says that she will be emancipated. She is finishing college in May 2017.
What legal procedure must be followed in the New York courts to enforce the divorce agreement and terminate the child support? 

A: David's Answer: You can simply file a petition to terminate the support order with the Family Court. If it's not payable through SCU, or there's otherwise not a garnishment in place, then you can simply stop paying. Schedule a consult with a Westchester Uncontested Divorce attorney for a full assessment.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3174 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions