Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

How soon can i submit a child support modification? And how would it impact me with a change of employment.

Q: I have worked for a health-care corporation for about 8 years and i make about 40k a year. Just last week i was hit with child support at a monthly rate of 740 a month. An amount that everyone in court is still surprised and in doubt with. About two years ago i got my child's mother a job working at the same corporation i work for. She makes 54k a year. Whats making my child support bill so high according to my attorney. Was the 45 percent of child care cost that she claims she pays. Overall, i am facing living in New York city with a net income of 1100 a month. Which we all know is impossible, just my rent alone is 900 a month (all expenses clearly verified in the affidavit). Im considering a change of employment. Something that gives tips and earned income could be proven in court at no more than 15k a year. How will this impact my modification request. And how would this also impact the 45 percent of child care cost expenses that the judge included as additional amount of child support dues? 

A: David's Answer:  Preliminarily, did you challenge the childcare cost at a hearing? Moreover, you could've challenged the pro-rata share based on your expenses. In any event, if you voluntarily quit & take a lower-paying job, you generally will NOT get a reduction of child support. Schedule a consult with a Bronx Child Support attorney for a full assessment.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3174 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions