High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Can I leave state with my daughter if me and her father Aren’t married and things aren’t looking to good in our relationship?

Q: I wanted to know will it be okay for me to go live with a family memember to get myself together and make things better for me and my daughter in another state, will/can her father file a kidnapping case on me if I do so. I do not want to get into trouble for leaving the state but again I need to do what’s best for me and my daughter. Me and her father aren’t married and I wanted to know will that be a issue if I live state?

A: David’s Answer:
Merely because you & the Father are not married does not provide a basis to relocate out-of-state with the child. You’re best advised to file a petition in Family Court for sole custody & permission to relocate. Schedule a consult with a Bronx Family Law attorney for a full assessment.

FindLaw Network