Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Husband added to house title but not mortgage

Q: Hello. My soon to be ex-husband was added to my house title which was only in my name (now in both our names). He is not in the mortgage (only me). I am about to get divorced and I am staying in the house. I intend to live there for another 5 years. Can I sell the house without getting him involved in the future since he is not in the mortgage? Or do I need to get him off the title (I would prefer not to since it is costly); if I can have him write a notarized letter that he is giving up rights to the house I would prefer that. Is that feasible? Please advice

A: David's Answer: He can certainly consent that his name come off the title, but unless its a premarital residence, he'd still generally be entitled to a share of its value in the event of divorce. A mere "notarized letter" would be insufficient for him to waive his rights in the house - only a valid separation agreement would do that. Schedule a consult with a Westchester Divorce attorney for a full assessment.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3174 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions