High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Can I move jurisdiction to Westchester from Brooklyn Family Court

Q: I am in the middle of a motion… child support modification & violation…this case has been on going since June 2016 which I think is beyond ridiculous! I actually moved the date up and was seen today… the refused to motionfor contempt of court because the respondent did not appear stating we have a date of 4/25 even though he was served… I am beyond fed up with Brooklyn Family Court as the respondent has yet to turn over financial information ordered by the judge 3 months ago!! No contempt of court? Can I go to the appellate court… I think this judge is not being fair… I really want to move it to Westchester but without losing all my time back till June 2016

A: David’s Answer: In terms of moving venue, 1 party cannot usually unilaterally change venue unless neither party resides in the originally issuing county. This assumes your case is a modification case. Schedule a consult with a Westchester Family Law attorney for a full assessment.

FindLaw Network