High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

What should my father do if support is being taken for children he has supported? Even after death of child

Q: My dad is paying over $100,000 in arrears to the state of N.Y. for children he has supported throughout their lives even after my sister’s death they’re still talking the money. He receive ssdi and have not enough money to care for himself. What should be done???

A: David’s Answer:
Assuming the arrears accrued pursuant to an order which existed before the death of the child, then he’d have to pay-off those arrears. If there’s an ongoing order of support, however, he should file a modification petition & produce a copy of the death certificate to the court. Schedule a consult with a Bronx Child Support attorney for a full assessment.

FindLaw Network
David Bliven Badge