Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Is there a formal process to file a complaint against a family court referee?

Q: I would like to file a formal complaint against a family court referee. How do these complaints get reviewed? Would the referee be aware of who file the complaint?

I think the fear of retribution is what deters some people from filing complaints against referees who don't serve the people as well as they should.

A: David's Answer: Beyond writing to the Supervising Judge of the courthouse, you can also file a complaint with the Commission on Judicial Conduct. And since it's the Office of Court Administration who appoints the Referees, consider filing a complaint letter with that agency. That said, unless his/her conduct was really "over-the'top," don't expect it to get you anywhere. Schedule a consult with a Bronx Family Law attorney for a full assessment.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3174 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions