Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Is it realistic for the family court to remove the interest on a child support/money judgment order.

Q: I have a old support order that I have been paying on (thru garnishments) for over 17 years. This is paid to the Dep. of Social Services because my children were in their grandmothers custody and she was getting assistance. The child support order has been reduced to a money judgment. The original amount of the money judgment was 23k but, the 9% interest has a total of 33k so all together i'm told that I owe 56k. Now, I have been paying this for over 17 years which means that I am just at about a total of 34k paid out according to the NYS Child Support Enforcement Office. However, the record shows that I still owe 23k. I have petitioned the court to see if they would remove this interest which has prevented me from getting away from this buren. This seems unlawful for them to charge that much interest, haven't I made them whole and will this ever go away?

A: David's Answer: It's not unlawful - it's actually statutorily-mandated. The court cannot take away the interest unless DSS agrees to same - and its extremely unlikely they will.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3174 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions