Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Change in county jurisdiction for family court?

Q: I have sole legal custody of my 4 year old. My ex husband does not know where we currently live because he has severe mental health issues and has been on long term disability. He recently filed the case in the county where I used to live in NY. He doesn't live in that county. Can the jurisdiction be changed since I don't live there and be placed in my new county. Please note, I used to be a resident where I am currently residing and my matrimonial and post matrimonial was litigated there. I am afraid. Currently, he has therapeutic supervised visits. My new location has had no affect on visitation. I am hoping to have the case in Westchester since the law guardian we had is very familiar with the case.

A: David's Answer: Yes - the procedure would be for you to file a motion to change venue. Accompany that filing with a request that your current address remain confidential. Once venue is changed to Westchester (or perhaps in advance), you should schedule a follow-up consult with a Westchester Child Custody attorney.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3174 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions