High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Can I receive a child support modification in NY?

Q: I have a 2009 stipulation with a doctor that was making less than 118k and my daughter is in college. I have just found out that he had a major inheritance over 200k and lives in a 1 million dollar home he paid for in cash. I can prove he makes in taxes 160000 . My daughters expenses have increased especially since college and I’m a stay at home parent with a disabled child.

A: David’s Answer:
Your issue will depend on a review of your agreement – if it was executed prior to Oct. 2010, then the old law generally applies for modification of child support done pursuant to agreement (meaning you’d have to prove an “unanticipated change”). The agreement, however, may provide for other bases to modify the support and/or may treat college or educational expenses as an add-on to the basic support. Schedule a consult with a Westchester Child Support attorney for a full assessment.

FindLaw Network