High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Can I get my name removed from birth certificate?

Q: My name is on the birth certificate of a child that is now around 12 or 13 years old. She is not my child my now ex wife has told the court the same thing that I am not the father. they started garnishing my check 1 year and half now I’ve been fighting it but nothing I just came across the real father information can I get my name removed if I put in a petition to bring the real father to court for a DNA?

A: David’s Answer: If your name was on the birth certificate, then presumably you also signed the acknowledgement of paternity. Your remedy is to file a petition to vacate the acknowledgment of paternity – you’d need to retrieve a copy of same for the filing. Your other remedy is to talk to the mother about having the child adopted. Schedule a consult with a Westchester Adoption attorney for a full assessment.

FindLaw Network