Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Can a final order of protection against my ex husband and his mother determine my having sole custody of our son?

Q: I have a temporary order of protection from NJ courts, a full stay away from myself and my children. My ex husband and I are currently involved in NY family courts and because of the TPO from NJ, the judge in NY family Court couldn't order any visitation or custody orders. If I get a final stay away order of protection from NJ, will that determine my having custody in NY family Court? No orders are in place and if NJ sees him unfit, what can NY do?

A: David's Answer: It depends - certainly even the existence of an order of protection would be a consideration for the Court. But the stronger evidence would be not only the order of protection, but a court finding that he did, indeed, commit an act of domestic violence against you (this may be upon his plea or a finding after trial). Schedule a consult with a Bronx Child Custody attorney for a full assessment.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3174 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions