Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Am I responsible for wife's legal expenses related to me filing for divorce first in White Plains NY

Q: I filed for divorce from my wife in White Plains, she may or may not represent herself. If she does get an attorney, am I responsible for any of her legal fees. ???

A: David's Answer: This is largely governed by the disparity of income - if you may 6-figures & your income is more than twice your wife's income, payment of some of her counsel fees is likely. That said, the Court also considers whether you're paying maintenance (i.e., alimony) and/or child support - if the subtraction of same from your income & the addition of same to hers results in the disparity of income being substantially less than 2-times, then counsel fees become unlikely. Schedule a consult with a Westchester Divorce attorney for a full assessment.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3174 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions