Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

What is the law regarding a spouse's right to pension in New York state?

Q: My husband feels that I am not entitled to his pension, although we had been married for 19 years prior to his leaving our 5 children and me. Since then, we have been living separately for almost 8 years, and i want to get a divorce. He began working as a teacher in NYC after we were married 9 years, and I raised our children, went back to school, worked part time/temp jobs while he obtained 3 degrees and continued working.

A: David's Answer: You are entitled to a share of his pension as same accrued value during the marriage. He may argue, however, that your share should be reduced given the long period of separation. Schedule a consult with a Bronx Divorce attorney for a full assessment.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3174 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions