High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Social service asking my son mom to take yo yo court for Child support

Q: Hello. I have a 8 year old son who lives with his mom. She’s in social service and recently was told by her case worker that they were taking me to court on behalf of her. She let them know she didn’t want because I take care of my son yet they still moved forward. I’ve never been served but she had to go to court and they asked where was I. She told the judge that I take care of my son and she had a letter from me saying I give her money monthly for him. The judge told her if I come in and sign my son birth certificate the case is over. Only reason I’m not in his birth certificate is because he was born in another city and his mom didn’t put it. I was told as long as I’m not served I don’t have to go and I was also told that if I do go and sign anything in that court room, I’m in the CS system forever. Anyone can share some knowledge of what I should do? Thx

A: David’s Answer: If the mother is receiving money from you & not reporting it to her caseworker, she’s committing welfare fraud – a rather serious offense. On your end, it’s accurate that until you’re served, you don’t need to go into court. Schedule a consult with a Westchester Family Law attorney for a full assessment.

FindLaw Network
David Bliven Badge