High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

In New York State can a court order my father to pay college tuition after I am 21.

Q: I just turned 21 and my child support has ended. I am a junior in college and could use help paying for the last year and a half from my father who makes a bit above a decent living and I am his only child, no spouse. My mother tried to take him back to family court but the judge denied my mothers case before she could even explain the situation claiming “her hands are tied past 21”. Is he completely cut off from my school expenses as well and which type of court in NY should I go to make a case?

A: David’s Answer: The age of emancipation in NY is 21, unless extended by a valid, written agreement. Thus, your remedy appears to be to advocate for a change in the law. Call a White Plains Child Support attorney for more info.

FindLaw Network