Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

In New York State can a court order my father to pay college tuition after I am 21.

Q: I just turned 21 and my child support has ended. I am a junior in college and could use help paying for the last year and a half from my father who makes a bit above a decent living and I am his only child, no spouse. My mother tried to take him back to family court but the judge denied my mothers case before she could even explain the situation claiming "her hands are tied past 21". Is he completely cut off from my school expenses as well and which type of court in NY should I go to make a case?

A: David's Answer: The age of emancipation in NY is 21, unless extended by a valid, written agreement. Thus, your remedy appears to be to advocate for a change in the law. Call a White Plains Child Support attorney for more info.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3174 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions