High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Do I have to still pay child support?

Q: I was put on child support in New York. As well when I went for visitation/joint custody my sons mother filed for full custody. And she was granted full custody where my rights was taken away from me. But I still pay child support. She moved to Pennsylvania and I’ve been paying since 2009 or 2010 till present. She has repeatedly told me that I have no rights every time I ask if I can see him. So I wonder as many have asked me why do I still pay child support then. And according to some research as me and her aren’t married and never have been im basically a nobody to my son.

A: David’s Answer:  You have to continue to pay child support, quite simply because a court has ordered that you do so. Visitation is another issue – you’d need to file a separate petition to obtain a court order regarding same. Call a Bronx Child Support attorney for more info. 

FindLaw Network