Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Can I get arrears paid from my ex husband's pension or annuity? He is in a union in NYC and is typically delinquent with CS also

Q: I have been divorced since 2012 and have legal and physical custody of my 16 year twins. It was a very messy court battle with no assets to split but a spouse who is a narcissist (confirmed by 2 therapists) and insisted on taking our case to trial and represented himself. He was a contractor and hid his monies. The judge ruled that I receive more child support than either of us expected and I got legal and physical custody. My ex did not pay child support for almost a year and I took him back to court. He was put in jail for 30 days. After jail, he took me to court to get custody of kids saying I refused to bring them to jail to visit him. He did not gain custody. I then asked the courts to allow me to move near my family 4 hours away to try and rebuild financially as he completely trashed my credit by letting house and car payments go. I was allowed to do so and agreed to less child support. I ultimately decided not to move and have been raising 2 kids in Westchester with the lower child support of which he is still deliquent with. Currently he works in NYC and belongs to a Union. He has an annu and pension. He owes $35K in arrears. He pays me approx. $50 per month toward arrears.

A: David's Answer: Unless the annuity or pension is in pay-out status (doesn't sound like it), then they are assets which cannot be garnished. Your better bet is to garnish his actual income - you may also wish to consider an upward modification petition. Schedule a consult with a White Plains Child Support attorney for a full assessment.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3174 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions