High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

What’s the protocol of child custody for an unmarried couple in Westchester?

Q: If I list someone on my sons birth certificate what rights does he have? And does he have to be at the hospital to sign the papers

A: David’s Answer: If you merely list someone as the child’s Father on the birth certificate, it does not in itself confer paternity rights. He would need to sign an acknowledgement of paternity as well – which is usually done at the Hospital, but can also be done subsequently. If paternity rights are established, he may petition for access to the child. Schedule a consult with a Westchester Child Custody attorney for a full assessment.

FindLaw Network