High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

What do I do next?

Q: I am the defendant in a matrimonial case, I moved out of state (NY) when the relationship ended with our 3yr old child. I had an attorney who attended court 3x on my behalf. I had to cancel this representation has my bill was already $10,000 (thats all my savings) and I am not fighting for anything but child support.

I wrote the court and explained my situation in regards to inability to afford an attorney and requesting a public defender. I received a letter stating that I should do an Order to Show Cause. This is my first time in court, I have no idea what to do! Worst I am in another state! Any advise?

A: David’s Answer: If you’re in Westchester, you should call the Court & ask to speak to someone in the Office of the Self-Represented. They may be able to give you the forms – with the proviso that there are very few attorney available who accept pro bono cases in the matrimonial realm. You may otherwise schedule a consult with a Westchester Child Support attorney for a full assessment

FindLaw Network