High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

What can I do since NY Child Support Enforcement will not close my case?

Q: According to my divorce decree that was filed in Virginia and not New York (New York thinks it was filed in New York, child support is paid until the child reaches 21), child support payments will terminate when the child turns 18 years old or when the child graduates high school. My youngest just graduated high school May 28, 2016 and my oldest graduated 3 years ago. I have been overpaying for my oldest daughter for the last 3 years. I have tried several times to stop it but I was told from the NY Child Support Hotline that I have to wait until my youngest daughter turned 18 years old. They finally closed her case September 21, 2015 after I asked for a review. But they turned around two months later and reopened her case without any explanation to me. Every letter I receive states that I am in arrears but they never add up. I have written several letters to them but they never respond with an explanation on why my case is still open. All it says that I am in arrears and they never answer any of my questions. Doesn’t any of the $13,000 that I have paid for my oldest daughter since she turned 18 years old over 3 years ago, count for anything? What can I do to be heard?

A: David’s Answer: An accounting would need to be done of what you owed pursuant to the divorce decree, as well as what you’ve paid. If there’s a negative discrepancy, then you’d still owe arrears. You may ultimately need to get an order from the VA court. Call a Bronx Child Support attorney to schedule a consult for a full assessment.
FindLaw Network