Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

What can I do since NY Child Support Enforcement will not close my case?

Q: According to my divorce decree that was filed in Virginia and not New York (New York thinks it was filed in New York, child support is paid until the child reaches 21), child support payments will terminate when the child turns 18 years old or when the child graduates high school. My youngest just graduated high school May 28, 2016 and my oldest graduated 3 years ago. I have been overpaying for my oldest daughter for the last 3 years. I have tried several times to stop it but I was told from the NY Child Support Hotline that I have to wait until my youngest daughter turned 18 years old. They finally closed her case September 21, 2015 after I asked for a review. But they turned around two months later and reopened her case without any explanation to me. Every letter I receive states that I am in arrears but they never add up. I have written several letters to them but they never respond with an explanation on why my case is still open. All it says that I am in arrears and they never answer any of my questions. Doesn't any of the $13,000 that I have paid for my oldest daughter since she turned 18 years old over 3 years ago, count for anything? What can I do to be heard?

A: David's Answer: An accounting would need to be done of what you owed pursuant to the divorce decree, as well as what you've paid. If there's a negative discrepancy, then you'd still owe arrears. You may ultimately need to get an order from the VA court. Call a Bronx Child Support attorney to schedule a consult for a full assessment.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3174 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions