High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

What can I do if my lawyer is unresponsive to all for 60 days and my divorce and child custody case goes into defaults?

Q: I retained a lawyer in May. After paying the retainer fee he called me in to do a networth statement on June 28th since then I’ve been asking him for an update and he has failed me. I found out my husbands lawyer has been trying to contact him for the last 2.5months as well via letter, email, text and phone calls and he has not responded to the opposing lawyer either. I’m scared my case will go in default. I’m a single mother of three and I feel robbed. I can’t afford for this case to go to default as my husband is not capable of taking care of our son. I need to find out what’s going on and don’t know what to do. I need help to make sure the best Decision is made for my son and his future.
I’m so dared in not going to get a fair chance because I don’t have anyone on my side.   

A: David’s Answer: Sounds like you should get another lawyer. You may also request a refund of your non-expended retainer, and you may wish to consider filing a grievance and/or for fee arbitration. Schedule a consult with a Bronx Child Custody attorney for a full assessment.

FindLaw Network