High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

What are my next steps if the father of my child disagrees with my decision to move to another state and filed a petition?

Q: I recently was presented with the opportunity to move to another state with my significant other. At the moment my son and I live with my mom and siblings in a three bedroom apartment. Moving with my significant other to another state means that my child will have his own bedroom, live in a safer environment and attend a better school. His dad served me with custody papers and I don’t know what to do next. However, i feel confident in my parenting skills and I am primarily making this move to give my son a chance to have what he doesn’t have now (his own bedroom, better education, better neighborhood). I am not asking for sole custody of my child and have said many times to his dad that I respect his rights as a parent and I am more than happy to split up our time with our son by allowing him to have him over the summer/winter breaks along with other holidays which require him to be away from school without negatively affecting our son’s life. I don’t want to take my son away from his dad, but I know this move is crucial and will improve the quality of life of our son. I live in New York City and was just served papers and don’t know what to do next. Am I allowed to still move?

A: David’s Answer:
You must file a counter-petition seeking custody & permission to relocate. You should also file a petition seeking an order of child support. There are ways to negotiate a resolution of these issues, but you’d greatly benefit from having an attorney represent you. Thus, call a Bronx Child Custody attorney to schedule a consult

FindLaw Network