Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

My e-wife is trying to reopen our child support case saying that I still owe arrears. Can she reopen the case?

Q: My ex-wife is trying to reopen our child support case. I still only owe her arrears as I no longer owe state, city or federal. Also our children are in the military. Three years ago we went (together) to court and she ( my ex-wife ) wrote a letter stating that I gave her $70k for child support. All I owed her was arrears. The judge stated that the matter was no longer in court and the agreement was between me and my ex wife. I have been paying ever since, however, certain things happened last year where I couldn't pay. I have since been paying her since March. Can she reopen the case although I have been paying her, even if it has been sporadically?

A: David's Answer: If the court "fixed arrears" and entered an order to that effect, then you'd still owe the arrears. If there are no orders fixing the arrears & no judgments, then it wouldn't appear there's anything to enforce. That said, you would benefit by scheduling a consult with a Bronx Child Support attorney for a full assessment.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3174 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions