High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

If my daughter doesn’t live with me for the entire summer during college, is she considered emancipated & we lose child support?

Q: I’m divorced and my 17 year old daughter is living with me, but planning to go to college in the fall. She mentioned that she may take summer courses or an internship between her freshman and sophomore years, so she won’t be living with me for the whole summer. Does that mean we’ll no longer receive child support or assistance with college from her father, because she’ll be considered emancipated?

A: David’s Answer: Most agreements say that a child’s attendance at college is NOT considered an emancipatory event. That said, if the father contributes towards room-and-board, this is generally a deduction from child support. Schedule a consult with a Westchester Child Support attorney for a full assessment.

FindLaw Network
David Bliven Badge