Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

If my daughter doesn't live with me for the entire summer during college, is she considered emancipated & we lose child support?

Q: I'm divorced and my 17 year old daughter is living with me, but planning to go to college in the fall. She mentioned that she may take summer courses or an internship between her freshman and sophomore years, so she won't be living with me for the whole summer. Does that mean we'll no longer receive child support or assistance with college from her father, because she'll be considered emancipated?

A: David's Answer: Most agreements say that a child's attendance at college is NOT considered an emancipatory event. That said, if the father contributes towards room-and-board, this is generally a deduction from child support. Schedule a consult with a Westchester Child Support attorney for a full assessment.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3174 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions