High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

I live in NYC if I marry someone and he dies will I be responsible for his back child support.

Q: I have been living with someone for 17 years and we are considering marriage. He owes back child support from the early 1980’s. Will I be responsible for his debt if he dies ?

A: David’s Answer: Assuming the mother has a judgment for at least some of the arrears, then the judgment can be enforced against the estate. Thus, to the extent he has any assets – even in joint names – the support recipient may potentially go after same even upon his death. Call a Bronx Child Support attorney for more info.

FindLaw Network
David Bliven Badge