Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

I live in NYC if I marry someone and he dies will I be responsible for his back child support.

Q: I have been living with someone for 17 years and we are considering marriage. He owes back child support from the early 1980's. Will I be responsible for his debt if he dies ?

A: David's Answer: Assuming the mother has a judgment for at least some of the arrears, then the judgment can be enforced against the estate. Thus, to the extent he has any assets - even in joint names - the support recipient may potentially go after same even upon his death. Call a Bronx Child Support attorney for more info.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3174 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions