High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

I have sole residential custody of my children, can I petition the courts for the father to have sole residential custody?

Q: The children came into my custody in 2013 and it has become an economic burden to support them as a single parent. My ssi benefits has been currently suspended and I am supporting myself and two other kids with child support and ssi income I receive on behalf of my son. I have tried to work part time but I can’t afford child care and as a result I had to turn down job offers. I don’t have support that will allow me to work and bring in any income sufficient to raise my children. The father picks them up one day a month for five or six hours. I am living with a disability and it has been difficult to care for my children as well maintain the things they need.

A: David’s Answer: You cannot force the Father to take custody if he doesn’t want to. Moreover, you should be aware that if you goto work & incur childcare expenses, same is a mandatory add-on to the basic level of child support the Father is paying. Schedule a consult with a White Plains Child Custody attorney for a full assessment.

FindLaw Network