High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Does child support end at 21 in NY?

Q: child support order in effect for 2 children (now 19 & 21). is the 21 yr old emancipated and do I have to continue paying child support for her. I sent a letter to the agency and the reply was “it is unallocated, and doesn’t have an effect on the order”.

A: David’s Answer:
You would need to file a petition for modification, based on the 1 child turning 21. You may wish to run the calculations, however, because it would be 17% of your current adjusted gross income – and thus there’s always the possibility the order could increase from what it is currently. Schedule a consult with a Westchester Child Support attorney for a full assessment.

FindLaw Network
David Bliven Badge