Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Does child support end at 21 in NY?

Q: child support order in effect for 2 children (now 19 & 21). is the 21 yr old emancipated and do I have to continue paying child support for her. I sent a letter to the agency and the reply was "it is unallocated, and doesn't have an effect on the order".

A: David's Answer:
You would need to file a petition for modification, based on the 1 child turning 21. You may wish to run the calculations, however, because it would be 17% of your current adjusted gross income - and thus there's always the possibility the order could increase from what it is currently. Schedule a consult with a Westchester Child Support attorney for a full assessment.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3174 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions