High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Can someone other than either spouse contest a divorce?

Q: For example, if a husband and wife agree to an uncontested divorce, splitting up marital property as they see fit, can the husband’s adult child from his previous marriage get involved in any way to try to get more from the wife’s estate for her father if she feels he’s not getting what he should?

A: David’s Answer: No, the adult child would not have legal standing, unless the father is legally incompetent. The adult child (assuming s/he’s also a child of the wife)may have independent estate rights in the mother’s estate which would be unaffected by the divorce. Thus, s/he may wish to consult an estate attorney and/or a White Plains Divorce attorney.

FindLaw Network