High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Can my child’s father be held in contempt if he’s violated every court order?

Q: My child’s father has been the petitioner in every court hearing.Yet, he never follows through. On numerous occasions, he has not picked my child up for visits. Now he’s looking to get custody of my child,Due to a brief displacement i went through.What are the chances he’ll be granted a modification of custody?

A: David’s Answer:
He can’t be held in contempt for not visiting your child, as visits are his right, not his obligation. This would otherwise be grounds to modify the order, however, as for his chances at custody, one would need to know what you mean by “displacement,” as well as assess numerous factors which bear on custody. Schedule a consult with a Westchester Child Custody attorney for a full assessment.

FindLaw Network