Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Can I proceed with a divorce for my mother who had a stroke and cannot speak for herself from her new husband of 2 years?

Q: My mother wanted a divorce from her new husband and has stated that to me on a couple of different occasions he has also left voicemail messages on my wife's phone stating that my mother wanted a divorce and so does he, 3 weeks later my mother had a severe stroke and cannot make decisions or even complete a full sentence, he has since then been a tremendous strain on the Family, I am her health care proxy along with her POA, can I file a divorce on behalf of my mother? I live in New York

A: David's Answer: You would first need to be appointed her guardian by the Surrogate's Court. If so, then you'd be able to file for divorce on her behalf.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3190 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions