High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Can I move out of the the state if I have sole legal and physical custody of my child and the father has no visitation rights?

Q: I live in New York and have sole legal and physical custody. The father has no visitation rights and hasn’t seen the child in years (hasn’t had visitation rights in years). Do i need the courts permission to move? Do I need to notify the court? I don’t even know where my childs father is located.

A: David’s Answer: Generally you need either the Father’s permission or court permission. Whether your case would constitute a rare exception to the general rule would need to be assessed. Schedule a consult with a White Plains Child Custody attorney.

FindLaw Network