Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Can I file for custody for a child that is adopted

Q: My family minor is in a psych unit because the guardian can not care for her and is always abusing her and kicking her out. So she sent her to a psych unit.. She's been in the psych unit for 3 years. The guardian was going to first give me joint custody but then she switched up and said she doesn't want to give up her rights at all because she doesn't want her to be happy. Can I file for custody even though my niece who is in the pysch unit is adopted.

A: David's Answer: Theoretically yes, but you'd need to prove the child has been persistently neglected or physically/sexually abused. Absent that - or a finding of legal abandonment - then you would not have standing to file for custody. Schedule a consult with a Bronx Child Custody attorney for a full assessment.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3190 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions