High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

Originally the child support was decided in NY court. Later mother moved to CT. Which court should I file the modification in?

Q: Originally the child support was decided in the Westchester Family Court NY. Later the physical and legal custody of the child was given to mother of the child who decided to move to CT state and thereafter leaves for India. Now to move for modification of child support, which will be the appropriate court? Whether westchester or court in CT? 

A: David’s Answer: If you remain living in New York – and more particularly Westchester County, then you would file any modification case in Westchester. NY & Westchester retain continuing & exclusive jurisdiction for modification/enforcement matters so long as 1 parent remains living there. Schedule a consult with a Westchester Child Support attorney for a full assessment. 

FindLaw Network
David Bliven Badge