Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Married but separated for over 5 yrs, not legally. Wife now needs chemo - am I responsible for her medical costs?

Q: We have been separated for many years, I don't live in the house but pay the bills. She has her own income & medical. I am retired and want a divorce and just to keep my pension. She can have her money, inheritance and 1/2 the home money when sold. What are my options and responsibilities to her now that she is ill?

A: David's Answer: If the medical bills already constitute a debt, then potentially you are liable for up to 50% of all marital debt. If you're talking about future such expenses, then the only way you'd be liable for same after the divorce is filed is via an award of alimony (i.e., maintenance). Schedule a consult with a White Plains Divorce attorney for a full assessment.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3174 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions