High Net Worth Divorce
Protection For Your Children
Domestic Abuse

I have two children with my ex and a new baby with my current wife. Can CS be modified?

Q: I make 100,000. My ex makes 80,000. I pay 1875.00 a month for Child Support. I just had a new baby with my current wife. Does this qualify as a reason for CS modification and if so, will it reduce my current CS payment?

A: David’s Answer: A subsequently-born child would generally not provide grounds to modify child support. While in theory this may b considered as a factor in calculating “above-the-cap” support (i.e., above $143,000), I don’t see this realistically creating any reduction for you. Moreover, your current wife’s finances would need to come into play – including her ability to earn income if she’s presently not working. Schedule a consult with a Rockland/Westchester Child Support attorney for a full assessment.                                                                                                                                                                                  

FindLaw Network
David Bliven Badge