Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Can my child's father change her last name without my consent?

Q: The father is not involved in her life and does not pay child support currently. We have an upcoming paternity/support case( we were never married and he didn't sign the birth certificate) and all of a sudden he wants to change her last name to his. Can he change her last name to his if I say no in court?

A: David's Answer: He cannot change the child's name within a paternity case, though consents to same may be recorded. Ultimately if there is a dispute on the name it would need to be rectified in a "name change" proceeding brought in civil court. Schedule a consult with a Bronx Family Law attorney for more info.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3190 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions