Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Can I move without the other parents permission?

Q: Hello I'm the mother and I have joint custody with the father however my daughter lives with me 24/7 and I make all the important decisions pertaining to my child, I want to move out of the state of New York to Providence, Rhode Island to better myself and my daughter's future, also my daughters father has threatened me and my family plus he's a drug dealer and has been in trouble multiple times. So my question is can I move away with my daughter without the father's consent to better myself and my daughters future?

A: David's Answer: No - especially in a case where you have joint custody, you definitely cannot move without the father's express consent (and in such event, it should be reduced to a written parenting agreement, at the least). Otherwise, you will need to file a custody/relocation petition with the Court. Schedule a consult with a Bronx Child Custody attorney for a full assessment.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3190 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions