Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Can a request for a modification for a final child support order hold off a divorce after spouse has already been served?

Q: I served my spouse divorce papers after having final orders on custody/child support and alimony, she summoned me for a change of visitation for Sept 23, can that delay divorce process after serving her when she has 20 days to respond? Also her orders are from the Bronx county family court while my divorce was from the supreme court Westchester county? Will they merge the cases?

A: David's Answer: Generally the courts encourage all cases to be heard before the same Judge in the same court. That said, you would technically need to file a motion to consolidate the Family Court case into the Divorce case - nothing will happen "automatically." Schedule a consult with a Westchester Uncontested Divorce attorney for a full assessment.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3190 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions