Call 914-368-7580 now to schedule a 20-minute Case Assessment or full 50-minute Case Strategy Consultation!
Call Today 914-368-7580

Does COLA apply to out of state child support order in New York?

Q: My ex-spouse and I got divorced in Florida where a support order has been issued. I ( the non-custodial parent paying child support) moved to New York.

The other party filed a motion with the state of NY where I have been ordered to pay more money since September 2012.

Since the original court order is from Florida, does the COLA (the Cost Adjustment) apply because all NY is doing is to enforce the order?


A: David's Answer: If Florida issued the order and the mother & child remained living in Florida, then only Florida was supposed to have modified/enforced the order. That being said, if you had a valid jurisdictional objection to make back in 2012 & didn't make it, most likely it's too late now. Schedule a consult with a White Plains Child Support attorney for a full assessment. - David Bliven, Westchester Child Support Attorney (

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Get Legal Guidance To Support Your Future

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact The Law Offices Of David Bliven

White Plains Office
445 Hamilton Avenue
Suite 607
White Plains, NY 10601

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions

Bronx Office
3190 Riverdale Avenue
Suite 1
Bronx, NY 10463

Phone: 914-368-7580
Fax: 914-206-3687
Map & Directions